India is witnessing a steep decline in the automobile sector due to the adverse effect on the economy caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and the semiconductor crisis. The condition has also resulted from an increase in manufacturing costs and labor shortages across the country.
But amidst such trying times, some automobile manufacturers were able to bag record sales last year. In a country where a car is considered an emotional symbol for any family, automakers relentlessly strive to give the best product possible.
The list starts with Maruti Suzuki and is followed by Hyundai and Tata Motors. These automobile brands were able to top the charts in spite of the challenges.
Let us look at the list of the Top 10 Automobile Brands in India:
1) Maruti Suzuki:
Maruti Suzuki has always been the first choice as a car brand for any middle-class Indian family. The company started their legacy with the Maruti 800 back in 1983 when the dream of owning a car was a luxury here in India. Since then, the company has come a long way. In the financial year 2021, Maruti Suzuki made a total revenue of about Rs. 73,278.90 crore with a profit of about Rs. 4,229.70 crore and sold 16,52,653 units.
Hisashi Takeuchi is appointed as the new MD and CEO of Maruti Suzuki effective from April 1, 2022. The company’s former CEO, Kenichi Ayukawa, has managed a span of around 9 years since April 2013. He said, “India is one of the most interesting and promising automobile markets in the world and it has been both a challenging and a fulfilling stint for me,” Ayukawa said. “Hisashi Takeuchi has an excellent understanding of the Indian as well as international markets and is placed well to lead Maruti Suzuki into the future. I wish him a successful journey ahead.”
Hisashi Takeuchi with an estimated current net worth of $ 5 million completed his graduation from Yokohama National University in Economics. He joined Suzuki Motor Corporation (SMC) in 1986, in the department of Overseas Marketing for the Europe Division. He joined the board in July 2019 and was later appointed as Joint Managing Director (Commercial) in April 2021.
Watch their Youtube channel for more information.
The upcoming cars from Maruti Suzuki in India include (all prices estimated):
- Maruti XL6 (2022)- The XL6 is priced at Rs. 12.02 lakh and is aimed towards larger families whose first priority is space and practicality. The engine puts out 103.2BHP of power and 138 nm of torque. The XL6 has a 1462cc with Manual Transmission.
- Maruti Vitara Brezza (2022)- The compact SUV is fitted with modern features and the latest styling. It costs around Rs. 8 lakh and comes with a 1462cc engine with Manual Transmission.
- Maruti Alto (2022)– This has always been a people’s car that has a sentimental value to the Indian market. The Alto is priced around Rs. 3.50 lakh and comes with a 999cc engine with Manual Transmission.
Hyundai stands next in the list of top-selling car brands in India. The company set foot in India in May 1996 and has made significant progress in profits in the country. The carmaker offers modern design vehicles with impressive specifications and features. In the year 2021, Hyundai made a global revenue of about $ 117.6 trillion with a profit of Rs 4,174 crore in India (Source) and sold 6,10,760 units.
Mr. Unsoo Kim is the current MD and CEO of Hyundai Motors India. He joined the company in 1991 and has been associated with it for 30 years. Unsoo Kim played the most crucial role behind the introduction of Kona, an all- electric SUV from the company. Mr. Kim was also responsible for enhancing the demand of midsize SUV like Creta and compact SUV like Venue. Jae Hoon Chang is appointed as the CEO and President of Hyundai Motor Group on December 16, 2020. He has served as the global head of Genesis, a luxury brand associated with the car brand. Chang did his Masters from Boston University and his graduation from Korea University.
Here is a look at their Youtube channel.
The upcoming cars from Hyundai in India includes (all prices estimated):
- Hyundai Tucson (2022)- The Tucson is for the customers who are looking for a premium SUV in the Indian market. This modern-styled SUV costs Rs. 25 lakh and comes with a 1998cc motor which has a Manual Transmission.
- Elantra (2022)- The Elantra is badged as the luxury sedan from Hyundai. It carries a price tag of Rs. 15 lakh and is fitted to a 1999 cc engine.
- Hyundai Venue (2022)- The compact SUV costs Rs. 7 lakh and comes with a 1498 cc engine. It caters to the need of a small family who desires to own an inexpensive SUV with the latest features.
3) Tata Motors:
Tata Motors is an Indian car manufacturing company founded by J.R.D Tata in 1945. The company provides cars with several safety features with most of them having a Global NCAP rating of 5 stars. The company recorded total revenue of Rs. 47,874.43 crore with a profit of Rs. 1,492.54 crore and sold 3,31,182 units. (Source)
Tata Motors is currently without a CEO and has decided to operate their businesses independently under their chief executives. However, the former CEO Guenter Butschek who resigned in June, 2021 has an estimated net worth between $ 1million – 5 million. His leadership took the company to great heights.
Check out their official Youtube channel here.
The upcoming cars from Tata Motors in India includes (all prices estimated):
- Tata Altroz EV- The company is gearing up to strengthen its EV line-up. The Altroz offers competitive features with modern design. It costs around Rs. 14 lakh and comes with automatic Transmission.
- Tata Sierra EV- The concept product seems to hit the Indian market soon. It is estimated to be priced around Rs. 14 lakh, and will take us down the memory lane with the ‘Sierra’ badging.
- Tata Tiago EV- The Tiago EV costs around Rs. 6 lakh and offers a compact style hatchback. It also comes with an automatic Transmission and plans to up the game in the EV hatchback segment.
4) Kia Motors:
Kia is another car maker which is backed by Hyundai Motor Group. The company was founded in 1944 and currently has headquarters in Seoul, South Korea. Kia entered the Indian market in 2017 and has been attracting a lot of buyers ever since. In 2021, the company made a total revenue of Rs. 20,290 crore with a profit of Rs. 1,111 crore and sold about 1,96,000 units.
Tae-Jin Park is the current CEO of Kia Motors India and supervises the management, product development, business model and strategy. Park has been associated with Kia since January, 2020 and will succeed Mr. Kookhyun Shim who retired and shifted back to Korea. Song Ho Sung is the President and CEO of Kia Motors global. His expertise in overseas operations and business management surely took the company to great heights.
Here is the link to their Youtube channel.
The upcoming cars from Kia Motors in India includes (all prices estimated):
- Kia Seltos (2022)- The Seltos made a huge entry when it was first introduced a few years ago. The updated version will be priced at Rs. 10 lakh and will be fitted with a 1497cc engine.
- Kia carnival (2022)- The Kia carnival will cost around Rs. 26 lakh. The luxury van offers a plethora of modern features along with a 2199cc engine which comes with Manual Transmission.
5) Mahindra and Mahindra:
Mahindra and Mahindra is an Indian automaker brand founded in 1945. The company has built several SUV segment vehicles for the Indian market. In 2021, the company estimated a net revenue of Rs. 46,262.29 crore with a profit of Rs. 1,460.28 crore and sold about 1,55,539 units.
Anish Shah is the current Managing director and CEO of Mahindra and Mahindra. Shah is aiming to revive the company’s market share which took a dip to 19% from 50% seven years ago. In 2021, the company has already seen a growth of 3.9% in market share.
Watch their official Youtube channel for extra information.
The upcoming cars from Mahindra and Mahindra in India includes (all prices estimated):
- Mahindra eKUV100- THe eKUV is a compact electric SUV which is priced at Rs. 8.25 lakh. The engine puts out 54.7BHP of power and 120 nm of torque. The SUV primarily targets the micro families who wish for an affordable SUV.
- Mahindra Scorpio (2022)- The Legend is coming with an updated version and it is impressively priced at Rs. 10 lakh. The engine is a 2179 cc motor with Manual Transmission.
- The Mahindra Thar 5-Door- The Adventurer carries a price-tag of around Rs. 14 lakh and is fitted to a 2184cc motor. The car gathered a lot of appreciation from the enthusiasts who were in the market for an off-roader.
Toyota is a Japanese automobile manufacturer which was founded in 1937. The company entered the Indian market in 1997 and has delivered reliable and quality products ever since. Toyota is popularly considered the most dependable car manufacturer of the world. In India, the company made a net revenue of $ 256.7 billion and sold about 1,20,000 units in India.
Check out their official Youtube Page here.
Akio Toyoda is the current CEO and President of Toyota Motor Corporation. His current estimated net worth is $ 1 billion. Toyoda completed his MBA from US Babson College and played a crucial part in Toyota’s domestic and international operations.
The upcoming cars from Toyota in India includes (all prices estimated):
- Toyota Urban Cruiser (2022)- The compact SUV is priced around Rs. 8.80 lakh. It comes with a 1462 cc motor and targets the audience looking for a modern and powerful SUV
- Toyota Land Cruiser- This is presented as the benchmark of a premium SUV. The car offers impeccable performance and safety features. It is priced at Rs. 1.5 crore and comes with a 4461 cc engine with an automatic Transmission.
Renault is a French automaker company which entered the Indian market in 2005. The company was founded in 1899 and manufactures a wide variety of models. Renault made a total revenue of about €46.2 billion in 2021 and sold about 95,878 units in India.
Luca De Meo is the current CEO of Renault and has an estimated net worth between $ 1 million- 5 million. His experience of about twenty-five years in the automobile business includes his previous association with Toyota and Fiat Group.
The upcoming cars from Renault in India includes (all prices estimated):
Renault Arkana- The Arkana will be offered as a luxury sedan priced at Rs. 10 lakh. It comes with a 1493 cc engine with Manual Transmission.
Here is a link to their Youtube handle.
Honda is a Japanese Motor Company founded in 1948 and entered the Indian market in 1995. The company offers cars from every segment with the latest specifications and features. In 2021, the company made a revenue of Rs. 9,624 crores and witnessed a loss of Rs. 1,588 crore and sold 82,074 units.
Mr. Takuya Tsumura is the President and CEO of Honda Motors India. His association with the company for about 30 years has helped him gain experience in markets like Thailand, Australia, China and Asia.
The upcoming cars from Honda in India includes (all prices estimated):
Honda City Hybrid- The City has always been the market favorite. Now, the company aims to evolve the vehicle with an eco-friendly variant. It will be priced at around Rs. 18.50 lakhs and will churn out 96.55BHP of power and 127 nm of torque from its 1498 cc motor.
The link to the official Youtube page is here.
Ford is an American automaker founded in 1903 by Henry Ford. The company stopped operations in India last year. The company incurred huge losses and has no plans to resume business in the country. In 2021, the company sold about 48,042 units in India. Jim Farley is the President and CEO of the company with an estimated net worth of around $ 35.3 million.
The official Youtube channel link is here.
10) MG Motors:
MG is a British automaker owned by SAIC Motor Corporation Limited of China. The company entered the Indian car market in 2017 and has a net revenue of over Rs. 500 crore. In 2021, the company sold about 39,000 units in India. Rajeev Chaba is currently the President and CEO of MG Motors India.
Watch their Youtube channel for more information.
The upcoming cars from MG Motors in India includes (all prices estimated):
- MG G10- The G10 comes as a family van with the latest features and modern design. It is priced at around Rs. 25 lakh and comes with a 2398 cc engine.
- MG 3- The MG3 is a compact hatchback which will be offered to the market for the smaller families. It costs around Rs. 6 lakh and is fitted to a 1498 cc engine with Manual Transmission.
- MG Baojun 510- The Baojun 510 is a compact style SUV which costs about Rs. 11 lakh. It is fitted to a 1998 cc motor that comes with Automatic Transmission.
We can come to a conclusion that India is definitely a lucrative market and automobile companies are competing with each other in providing the best product. In India, a four wheeler tends to succeed if it provides longevity, cost effective maintenance and good fuel consumption. From the results, Maruti Suzuki has always been at the forefront when it comes to a lovable Indian brand followed by Hyundai and Tata Motors.