The European aerospace giant Airbus SE and Dynamatic Technologies inked a contract on Thursday for the manufacturing of door versions of the Airbus A220, the most recent aircraft in the company’s lineup.

The value of the order was not revealed.

After signing a deal with Tata Advanced Systems in March of last year to produce the cargo doors for the Airbus A320, this is Airbus’s second aircraft door manufacturing agreement with an Indian business.

Airbus now sources components from India for $750 million, and in the next years, it hopes to boost this amount to $1.5 billion. For Airbus, Indian companies produce fuselages, emergency chutes, tailfin structures, and electrical wire harnesses, among other things.

With a capacity of 100–150 passengers, the A220 is owned by the Airbus Canada Ltd Partnership, of which Airbus owns 75% and the Québec government the other 25%. The main A220 final assembly line is located in Mirabel, Quebec, and the program is run out of there. It includes engineering, customer support, services, and program management. A second production facility in Mobile, Alabama, serves the US market as well.

The A220 has been around the world since 2016, with over 300 of them in operation and over 900 orders placed, however, Indian carriers have not yet added one to their fleets.

According to authorities, Dynamatic Technologies, located in Bengaluru, is expected to deliver the first batch of airplane doors by the following year.

The announcement was made in the presence of several people, including Jyotiraditya Scindia, the minister of civil aviation, Rémi Maillard, the president of Airbus India and managing director for South Asia, Udayant Malhotra, the chief executive of Dynamatic, and others.

India’s twin approach to aerospace manufacturing—establishing final assembly lines in some industries while concurrently building an ancillary ecosystem ready for potential future assembly line expansions in other sectors—was emphasized by Scindia. Final assembly lines for Airbus’s C295 cargo aircraft and H125 helicopter are already operational in India.

To be in India at this moment is ideal. Investing in India is highly recommended at this moment,” Scindia stated, expressing hope for the expansion of the aerospace industry in the nation.

15% of the value is represented by the final assembly line. Malhotra emphasized the significance of a strong supply chain in aircraft production, saying, “The real deep value lies in the supply chain from tier-1, 2, 3, and engineering chains.

European aircraft manufacturer Airbus creates, produces, and distributes aerospace goods, services, and solutions.  

Airbus offers a wide range of products, such as private jets, freighters, and passenger airplanes. Airbus planes are renowned for their affordability, comfort, and adaptability. To promote a more sustainable aviation sector, the corporation is likewise dedicated to cutting emissions.