Caffeine is a stimulant and the most commonly used drug in the world. Every day, millions consume it to increase wakefulness, alleviate fatigue, and improve concentration and focus.
Benefits of caffeine:
- Promotes weight loss by stimulating thermogenesis ie. generation of more heat by the body by increasing digestion
- Prevents weight gain mainly by suppressing hunger and hence excess food intake that causes weight gain.
- Increases mental alertness and improves speed , reasoning and memory
- Improves physical performsnce during endurance exercise
- When it comes to brain function, studies have suggested that drinking coffee may help enhance some thinking skills and slow the mental decline that comes with age.
- Lifelong and higher consumption of caffeine might lower the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
- Some studies suggest that caffeine intake after long hours of studying may help to boost long term memory
- Caffeine helps protect the formation of cataracts
- There is some evidence that caffeine may help protect people from an eye disorder known as blepharospasm.
(Constant fluttering of eye)
- Caffeine may guard against skin cancer
- Lowers the risk of development of kidney stones.
Side effects of caffeine:
- Anxiety : hypersensitivity
- Insomnia : sleeplessness at night
- Digestive issues : large doses may lead to loose stool or GERD
- Muscle breakdown : damaged muscle fires enter blood stream damaging kidney
- Addiction : withdrawal symptoms might be seen if caffeine consumption is interrupted
- High blood pressure : caffeine seems to raise BP
- Rapid heart rate : large doses of caffeine increase heart rate
- Fatigue : it can be experienced when it’s effect wears off
- Frequent urination and urgency : high caffeine leads to increase in frequency and urgency of urination
Top ten coffee brands in India:
- Blue tokai coffee roasters
- The Indian bean
- Lavazza espresso
- County bean
- Sleepy owl
- Seven beans coffee
- Rage coffee
- The coffee Co