According to reports, the property was purchased for $123 million in October 2021, and Amazon will likely take a loss on the sale. Earlier this month, the company announced it had decided to lay off about 18,000 employees.

Amazon shocked the world when it announced large-scale layoffs earlier this month. About 18,000 employees will be shown the exits at Amazon, and the process has already begun. The company is trying to cut costs in response to “uncertain economic conditions”. As part of an effort to cut costs, Amazon is now selling off some of its desktop computers.

As reported by Bloomberg Businessweek, Amazon will sell an empty office in California that it bought about 16 months ago. The property was purchased for $123 million in October 2021 to lock down some of the property for future use. However, now the company is selling offices and it is reported to have a contract with a commercial real estate developer. One source told Bloomberg that Amazon could suffer a loss on the sale, while another said the final price is still being negotiated.

We are always evaluating the network to make sure it meets the needs of our business,” Amazon spokesperson Steve Kelly said in a statement. “As part of this effort, we have decided to explore the possibility of selling the Metro Corporate Center site. We are excited to be part of the community and will continue to ship products to our customers from our two shipping stations in Milpitas.”

There were reports a few days ago that Amazon would be sending layoff notices to more people soon as part of a campaign to lay off 18,000 employees. According to Reuters, the company has sent a new warning announcing layoffs to 2,300 employees.

The new round of layoffs will affect people in the United States, Canada, and Costa Rica. A note has been sent to the staff. According to a notice sent to the Washington State Department of Employment Security, 1,852 people in Seattle and 448 people in Bellevue and Washington will be laid off.

According to local media reports, layoffs will begin in March this year and there will be a 60-day transition period during which affected employees will be paid but not assigned work.

An employee of Amazon India recently described the unpleasant atmosphere in the office after the start of layoffs. The post was posted on Grapevine, a community app for Indian professionals, by an employee who writes under a pseudonym. The employee wrote: “About 75% of my team have left. Although I am part of the remaining 25%, I no longer feel motivated to work. They saw the people in the cabin. People are crying in the office.